Subject: mk.conf.example location?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2005 19:10:12
New to NetBSD, just installed 2.0 on a Via Mini-ITX system.  After figuring out that the bootloader chokes on the low power i586 (Ezra) systems, install went fine on an i686 (Nehemiah.)

Now I'm trying to build some packages and a kernel, so I want to configure my /etc/mk.conf file appropriately for the hardware.

<http://netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-pack.html#chap-pack-install> advises me to add this line to /etc/mk.conf:

DISTDIR=/usr/pkgsrc_distfiles

'man mk.conf' doesn't mention DISTDIR.  As far as compile options, it mentions the existence of COPTS but that's about it.

>From the same doc page "You can configure many aspects of the package system with /etc/mk.conf. You can find a detailed description of the variables you may want to set in the /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk file"

That file is not present, though I do see the following in  /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg:

bsd.pkg.install.mk
bsd.pkg.mk
bsd.pkg.subdir.mk
bsd.pkg.use.mk

all of which look more like build scripts than config files.

Where the heck is an example mk.conf for an i386 architecture?

--thanks