Subject: Re: No response when do lptest > /dev/ulpt0...anything else to try?
To: Mark Tamola <marktam264@hotmail.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2005 19:21:20
On one of my systems, I have a USB -=> parallel adaptor.  It shows up
similarly to your directly-connected printer:

ulpt0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
ulpt0: vendor 0x0832 product 0x5850, rev 1.00/1.04, addr 2, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

...and works nicely.  You should be able to dump data to it via /dev/ulpt0,

There are a few possibilities I can think of that may be causing problems:

 * You may not be speaking any language that the printer understands.

 * The printer may not actually be responding to "USB printer"
   operations the way that NetBSD expects.

 * On one 2.0 BETA system (I've been meaning to get it up to 2.0 proper),
   there are 4 USB ports, and I've seen some weird behavior where I've
   had to unplog/re-plug a USB-connected printer.  (For that matter, on
   my own print server, I've had to do that once in a while.)  You might
   see if that has any effect...