Subject: Re: No response when do lptest > /dev/ulpt0...anything else to try?
To: Mark Tamola <marktam264@hotmail.com>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2005 13:06:20
--- Mark Tamola <marktam264@hotmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm trying to set up a USB printer on NetBSD 2.0 (an HP PSC 1350
> All-in-one).  The following shows up in dmesg:
>
> ulpt0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1
> ulpt0: hp psc 1300 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>
> However, when I do a "lptest 70 5 > /dev/ulpt0", there is no response
> at all
> from the printer.  I've also tried the /dev/ulpn0 device, but that
> has no
> response either.  No lights blinking on the printer at all.  I
> installed
> apsfilter from pkgsrc, but even experimenting with various drivers,
> etc., I
> get no response at all from the printer.
>
> How do I set up the printer properly? If I can't even do a "cat
> file.txt >
> /dev/ulpt0", I don't know what else to try.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Mark

I think this would only work with much older printers from the MS-DOS
era (most now would use PCL, postscript or some other high level
lanaguge to communicate with the PC). You will most likely have to use
ghostscript (or something else) to convert the output of lptest into a
format the printer will understand and then send that to /dev/ulpt0
(this is assuming nothing is actually wrong with the printer or the
driver) to get some results.