Subject: Re: netatalk for NetBSD 2.0???
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/2005 23:25:35
In article <3bd87fa2d12f70b9bf0b3e6b4c82daa9@speakeasy.net>,
	"Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D." <drkilloran@speakeasy.net> writes:
> I don't like to cross-post, but I didn't get an answer on
> port-mac68k@netbsd.org,so:
>
> I am installing NetBSD 2.0 on my Mac IIvx.
> The version of netatalk in the corresponding package folder
> (ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/2.0/mac68k/net) goes no
> higher than netatalk-1.5.3.1.tgz. But when I try to pkg_add this
> version, I get:
>
>     pkg_add: Package 'netatalk-1.5.3.1.tgz' OS mismatch
>     pkg_add: NetBSD/m68k 1.6_RC1 (pkg) vs NetBSD/m68k 2.0 (this host)

Someone made a mistake. It's only a warning as far as pkg_add is
concerned, so the package is installed. The downside now, is that
if the binaries depend on an older version of "libutil" or some
other library, they won't start at all. If something like that
happens, take note of the error message, and you can extract the
missing libraries from the 1.6 base set, and drop them in "/usr/lib".
[There's no compat16 binary package for m68k, either.] Only install
the "lib*.so.N" link and "lib*.so.N.N" targets. Don't install the
"lib*.so" link -- that's for compiling.

NetBSD doesn't actually have hardware to build packages on all the
platforms we support. We're at the mercy of developers who do this
in their "spare" time, and m68k is losing popularity these days.
Most pkgsrc users build from source, but that's a fairly
unattractive option on your host, so that's why I recommend
downloading the missing 1.6 libraries.

Frederick