Subject: Re: pkgsrc on IRIX 6.5
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/2005 18:37:28
hi jan,

>> i) installed gcc 3.3 and cvs from freeware.sgi.com
>>
>> ii) edited /etc/cshrc and /etc/profile to have the PATH for binaries
>> installed within /usr/freeware/bin (among other paths)
>>
>> iii) checked out pkgsrc
>>
>> iv) bootstrapped pkgsrc
>>
>> this took me a whole day, because although Developer Libs and
>> Developer
>> Foundation are installed i complained that my gcc cannot build
>> executables... okay, finally solved this.
>
> I've always bootstrapped and been using pkgsrc with the MIPSPro
> compiler
> chain, which has worked quite well.  Even if you don't have a license,
> the compiler will work, I believe, even though it will spew a lot of
> warnings around.

yip, i have the MIPSPro compiler here (v7.3), but have not installed it
yet. i don't have a license, but i'll give it i try within the next few
days. nevertheless, it should work with gcc, shouldn't it?

>> v) trying to build lang/gcc34 and set "USE_PKGSRC_GCC=yes" (never did
>> that because it didn't build) i ran into several problems:
>>
>> a) gpatch not found; patch is installed on the system, i grabbed the
>> most recent from freeware.sgi.com and symlinked it to gpatch in
>> /usr/pkg/bin (quick and dirty ;)
>>
>> b) same applied to bzip and bzcat...
>
> I've never experienced that problem.  I know this is no consolation,
> but
> I wonder what's different on your setup.

well, i tried on a freshly set-up machine; there was nothing on it's
HDD except IRIX 6.5.22, and gcc and cvs from freeware.sgi.com. i also
tried another gcc compiled by a red hat guy (it was 3.4.0 IIRC).

> If you could note all the problems you encounter in detail, I'd be glad
> to see if I can help you figure them out.

if i try it next time, i'll provide all information that's needed.

>> by default pkgsrc builds ABI=64 on my machine, but /devel/gmp does not
>> want this: change to o32!
>
> The configure script seems busted.  Try the attached patch.

thanks jan!

> -Jan
>
> --
> Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have
> normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own
> lookout.

cheers,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.