Subject: pkgsrc on IRIX 6.5
To: bsd-help (E-mail) (E-Mail) <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/03/2005 14:15:49
hi list,

after fiddling with pkgsrc on IRIX (IRIX64 6.5.22) i finally gave up :(

here we go:

i) installed gcc 3.3 and cvs from freeware.sgi.com

ii) edited /etc/cshrc and /etc/profile to have the PATH for binaries
installed within /usr/freeware/bin (among other paths)

iii) checked out pkgsrc

iv) bootstrapped pkgsrc

this took me a whole day, because although Developer Libs and Developer
Foundation are installed i complained that my gcc cannot build
executables... okay, finally solved this.

v) trying to build lang/gcc34 and set "USE_PKGSRC_GCC=yes" (never did
that because it didn't build) i ran into several problems:

a) gpatch not found; patch is installed on the system, i grabbed the
most recent from freeware.sgi.com and symlinked it to gpatch in
/usr/pkg/bin (quick and dirty ;)

b) same applied to bzip and bzcat...

by default pkgsrc builds ABI=64 on my machine, but /devel/gmp does not
want this: change to o32! although it is not possible to mix ABIs... so
what now? furthermore, gmp is not available as binary from
ftp.netbsd.org for IRIX.

i just wonder how to get pkgsrc run on IRIX -- as several people do as
do mailing lists prove -- why is there no howto or guide out there if
it's not running out of the box? or am i just blind...?

help very much appreciated because i really _like_ pkgsrc :)

thanks in advance & regards,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.