Subject: Support question
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Eric Schurman <eric_schurman@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/22/2005 07:58:09
I'm not a BSD guy, but a very good friend is. She runs a server that is a
great community resource, and I took up a collection to fund a replacement
for her current machine. I've identified what I think is a good machine for
her at our price point (~$1900 total) and needs (_really_ reliable hardware,
2U, capacity for several easy access drives, etc., 1 gig ram, standard PCI
slots, SATA preferred, good warantee preferred) and vetted some of the
components from the hardware compatibility list, but am having problems with
a few components.
She's running 2.0, specifically

blood% uname -a
NetBSD blood.byz.org 2.0 NetBSD 2.0 (GENERIC) #0: Wed Dec  1 10:58:25
UTC 2004
builds@build:/big/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/i386/200411300000Z-obj/big/builds
/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386

I'm considering purchasing a SuperMicro superserver with the following
motherboard

http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DHE-G.cfm

Here are the major components:

Chipset
  Intel® E7520 chipset
  MCH + 6300ESB + PXH +82541GI

SATA
  6300ESB (Hance Rapids) SATA Controller
  RAID 0, 1, JBOD support

Network Controllers
  2x Intel® 82541GI Single Port Gigabit Controllers
  Supports 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T, RJ45 output

Graphics
  ATI Rage XL SVGA PCI video controller with 8 MB of video memory

Super I/O
  Winbond 83627HF chip

Am I likely to have trouble with these components?

Finally, if that fails, I can switch to one of their other SATA supporting
boards, like

http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DHE-XG2.cfm  or
http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7520/X6DHE-G2.cfm

Any feedback?