Subject: Re: 1.6.1 -> 2.0 by extracting binary sets
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/22/2005 15:21:43
--yRA+Bmk8aPhU85Qt

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 08:32:35PM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
  | What if I pretty much know what I need in /etc?
  |=20
  | Meaning, I just do cp -r etc etc.old, then extract the new sets, then
  | just fix the stuff I need to fix. Usually the passwd (pwd.db), group,
  | hosts, rc.conf, and startup scripts are the big ones, and I wrote down
  | the rest of the stuff which I don't have in front of me right now.
  |=20
  | Seems simpler to me than trying to merge everything. And if something
  | breaks, I have the old stuff in the copied directory.

postinstall does this mechanically for you.

I.e., when I upgrade my systems, I extract all the sets EXCEPT for
etc.tgz (& xetc.tgz), and then run something like:
	mkdir /tmp/foo
	cd /tmp/foo
	pax -zrf /path/to/etc.tgz
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` check
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` fix
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` check
		(manually fix anything that "postinstall fix" can't deal with)
	cd /
	rm -rf /tmp/foo

Maybe I'm biased (since I wrote postinstall), but I find having a
script to mechanically fix the stuff that needs to be fixed
(e.g. sshd config directory moving, rc.d scripts being upgraded, ...)
is less error prone than doing it by hand.

--yRA+Bmk8aPhU85Qt

--yRA+Bmk8aPhU85Qt--