Subject: Re: 1.6.1 -> 2.0 by extracting binary sets
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/2005 20:32:35
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:31:01 +1100, Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 04:01:06PM -0800, Roger Fischer wrote:
>   | Is "etcupdate" part of "postinstall"  It looks like they do a lot of the
>   | same things.
>
> postinstall identifies issues that need to be fixed in an upgrade
> for the newer system to function correctly.  Many of these issues
> can be fixed by postinstall.  It makes no effort to merge other
> changes.  postinstall should be a mandatory minimum step performed
> during an upgraded.
>
> etcupdate helps merge changes in the startup & user-editable
> configuration files in /etc.  It calls postinstall as a convenience.

What if I pretty much know what I need in /etc?

Meaning, I just do cp -r etc etc.old, then extract the new sets, then
just fix the stuff I need to fix. Usually the passwd (pwd.db), group,
hosts, rc.conf, and startup scripts are the big ones, and I wrote down
the rest of the stuff which I don't have in front of me right now.

Seems simpler to me than trying to merge everything. And if something
breaks, I have the old stuff in the copied directory.

Oh yeah, and I do dumps of all filesystems before just in case as
well... Only had to restore from dumps once.

Andy