Subject: Re: Broadcom wireless?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Clymer <chris@theconceited.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/2005 01:43:18
Broadcom has chosen to reveal virtually nothing about their hardware, and as a
result is one of the most poorly supported chipsets in the open source
community.

In Linux one can only use Broadcom chipsets with wrappers like Ndiswrapper and
Linuxant, which simply wrap the Windows driver.  This is obviously less than
desirable, and while it _works_, many things are unsupported when doing this,
such as Kismet.

The only way you're going to use a Broadcom chipset in NetBSD is to do
something similar.  I am not sure if it is possible, but at least you know
what direction to look.

I have got a feeling you would be better off just getting a different card
unfortunately,  Broadcoms are nothing but headaches. I can personally
reccomend Atheros and PrismGT chipsets as being much easier to work with.