Subject: Re: IBM Token Ring Support
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2005 09:29:08
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:16:24 -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:46:11 +0100 (MET), Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org> wrote:
>> > Hello Mailing,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to get a Token Ring Network Card working.
>> > I think it's a Olicom OC-3136 or OC-3137. It is a PCI Card with RJ45 and
>> > TrokenRing connector and a 85H9533 IBM Chip on it.
>> > This means it's a IBM based Network. I expected it to be recognized as a
>> > tr0
>> > or tl0 card, but it isn't. Also current does not seem to know the Card.
>> > In FreeBSD, the card seems to be supported an known as oltr0.
>> >
>> > Any Help appreciated.
>> >
>> > Greets, Zafer.
>> >
>> Hello List,
>>
>> The Card looks exactly like this:
>> http://www.networking.ibm.com/images/pcimgmt.jpg
>> Except, that the Chip is named 85H9533.(From Olicom, I think)
>> And works fine with the IBM Drivers. (34L5001)
>>
>> NetBSD dmesg says:
>> vendor 0x1014 product 0x003e (token ring network, revision 0x05) at pci0 dev
>> 9 function 0 not configured
>>
>> Greets, Zafer.
>
> I used token ring with NetBSD, but this was back in 1.4.2 and it was
> an ISA adapter.
>
> I thought I saw somewhere along the way that token ring support was
> actually removed?

It was working in 1.6 and I don't recall it being removed in 2.0 . But the
only driver is the "tr" driver which supports the IBM Tropic chip. The
Olicom and other cards with Texas Instruments chip, or IBM Lanstreamer,
are not supported.

So, try to get a Tropic based card if you want a working Token ring
network in NetBSD. Those are ISA, PCMCIA, MCA, and one EISA clone made by
3com. There is no PCI variant of those.

Also beware, IPv6 on Token Ring doesn't work.

Bye	Pavel