Subject: NFS server error?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2005 07:16:27
Hello all. I'm netbooting a NetBSD/hpcmips machine from a
NetBSD/cobalt machine. Both are running 2.0 stable. The client has a
kernel loaded locally, which I've built to mount root from nfs. The
server us using the dhcpd to handle this.

I get this message:

mount_nfs: rpcbind to nfs on server: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

I've seen this message elsewhere, and it seems related to the port map
service. But I think in 2.0 we don't explicitly start up portmap...

If I just type control-C on the hpcmips machine, it passes right by
this problem and continues to boot. It does run into this error twice
during boot, so I have to type control-C twice. Once after this:

Starting file system checks:

and again after this:

Mounting all filesystems...

Here is the rc.conf file of the NetBSD/cobalt machine, which is the nfs server:

nfs_client=YES
sshd=YES
securelevel="1"
defaultroute="192.168.1.254"
hostname="taz.andy.com"
inetd=YES inetd_flags="-l"
apache=NO
paneld=NO
samba=YES
nmbd=YES
smbd=YES
winbindd=YES
ntpd=YES
sendmail=NO
dhcpd=YES
rpcbind=YES
mountd=YES
nfs_server=YES
nfsd=YES
lockd=YES
statd=YES

Do I need to run anything else? I'm following the diskless
instructions as if I was using an i386 machine booting from a floppy
(ie kernel coming from local storage).

Thanks!

Andy