Subject: missing conftest.c? libxml2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2005 07:30:30
Hi all;

What installs conftest.c?

I'm trying to install libxml2 from -current, it fails during configure:
-----------
checking for mipsel--netbsd-gcc... cc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
*** Error code 77

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2
===>
===> There was an error during the ``configure'' phase.
===> Please investigate the following for more information:
===>      * config.log
===>      * /usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2/work/.work.log
===>
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2
-------------

Looking at the latter work.log, there are no obvious errors listed, but
the last statement is:

-------------
Qube:/usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2#more
/usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2/work/.work.log

<.> /usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2/work/.gcc/bin/gcc -O2
-DXML_SGML_DEFAULT_CATALOG=\\\"\\\\\\\"/usr/pkg/etc/sgml/
catalog\\\\\\\"\\\" -DXML_XML_DEFAULT_CATALOG=\\\"\\\\\
\\"/usr/pkg/etc/xml/catalog\\\\\\\"\\\"
-I/usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2/work/.buildlink/include
-L/usr/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2/work/.buildlink/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib
conftest.c
------------------

of those directories etc, the only thing missing on my system is
conftest.c.  It's not in the libxml2 sources anywhere, and locate
doesn't find it elsewhere on my system.

Per the first config log, there's just:
## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define PACKAGE "libxml2"
#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_STRING ""
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
#define VERSION "2.6.17"

configure: exit 77
-------------------------

Per CVS, the pkgsrc for libxml2 was updated Feb 12th:
------------------
  Revision 1.47 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Sat Feb 12
16:27:47 2005 UTC (4 days, 19 hours ago) by recht
Branch: MAIN
CVS Tags: HEAD
Changes since 1.46: +3 -1 lines
Diff to previous 1.46 (colored)

Work around by the recent buildfailure by rather patching/sed'ing the
catalog path in the relevant files (catalog.c, xmlcatalog.c) directly
rather than defining it in the CFLAGS.
Do not bump pkgrevision since nothing changed in the resulting binaries.
------------------

There's no email listed there for recht, unlike other CVS revision
listings that have the updaters contact info.

So, is my gcc a little out of date and there's some test c code that I
should have?
OR did they leave something out of the libxml2 sources?

There are no prebuilt libxml2 binaries (it's in /textproc) that I can
find anywhere, so it seems it's roll your own or nothing.

I'm building gcc 3.4 now, but it's been overnight and it is still
working, I thought I'd try for more immediate gratification here.  What
is supposed to provide conftest.c?  I'm 1.6.1 with -current, my
pkg_tools all build days ago just fine.  An updated locatedb doesn't
find it anywhere on my system.

When I first build libxml2 8? months ago, there was a stat.h include
that I had to change location, but that part seems to be fine now.  I
forgot to pkg_tarup before a recent update of something else, and
libxml2 got whacked in the process.  I thought I'd try the compiler
first, since I have one other item that fails at assembly with an
"unknown option".  gcc looks like it was updated 8 months ago; my older
install was likely from 10 months ago.

Thanks for thoughts.

Brian
--