Subject: Upgrading from 1.6.x to 2.0 and sendmail
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.com>
From: Christopher W. Richardson <cwr@nexthop.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/2005 12:50:49

Hi,

I recently upgraded my workstation for 1.6 to 2.0, and everything
went smoothly, with the exception of sendmail.  Before I go on to
the actual question, let me start by asking if someone put a doc
together on how to handle the changes to sendmail when upgrading
to 2.0?

I've read UPDATING, CHANGES, and searched the archives, and can't
really find a "guide" on how to do this. It seems like most of
the changes that went in were designed to get things at least
minimally working after an upgrade, and, in point of fact, to
make sure at least local mail gets delivered.

As it turns out, I have the opposite problem (perhaps of my own
doing).  After updating to 2.0, it actually took quite a while
for me to notice that mail wasn't working.  I was receiving mail
on the workstation fine, but mail wasn't ever leaving the
workstation.  After adding smmsp=YES to rc.conf and setting up a
relay host in sendmail.cf and submit.cf, I could send and receive
mail fine.  The only thing that remains is getting local mail
delivered.  All of my cron messages, security messages, etc...,
are happily being queued in clientqueue.

The actual failures are as follows:
The original message was received at Fri, 11 Feb 2005 03:15:00
- -0500 (EST)
from root@localhost

root
    (reason: 550 5.0.0 Access denied)
    (expanded from: root)

... while talking to localhost.mydomain.com.:
>>> MAIL From:<root@myhost.mydomain.com>
<<< 550 5.0.0 Access denied
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Both localhost.mydomain.com and myhost.mydomain.com are in
local-host-names, and I've run newaliases and restarted sendmail,
all to no avail.  I'm hoping that I'm just missing some simple
step that I should have performed during the upgrade and someone
can point me in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris