Subject: Re: IPV6 and sshd problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/2005 20:45:09
In article <D15C891500AD1A4B96908B85E4A22FBFB4A3@froggy.kythra.net>,
	"Erik Nielsen" <Erik@kythra.net> writes:
> I've been thinking about this problem some more, and I am wondering if
> the reason sshd is breaking could also be because of IPv6. So far, most
> of the problems I have had seem to have IPv6 at their root. (Guessing
> here...) Once again, I beg you all... Is there ANY WAY to disable IPv6
> without a kernel recompile? When I google it, all I get are a bunch of
> people asking the same question and then receiving responses like "I
> can't conceive why anyone would want to disable IPv6, so I'm not even
> going to tell you if it is possible! Nyah!"

It is possible, that your environment contains an rtadvd which supplies
an autoconfigured IPv6 address, and a route that goes to nowhere. Does
"ifconfig -a" show IPv6 addresses with 2001 or 3ffe prefixes? What does
"route -n get -inet6 default" say? If you have such a bogus route, you
can get immediate relief with "route -n delete -inet6 default".

With no route at all, the application should fail over to IPv4
immediately, but it may take longer to detect a broken gateway.

I actually run a bogus "rtadvd" on purpose, since IPv6 does work fine
one the LAN; it's just that all I can get outside of it are horrible
tunnels. I configure the clients like so:

--- /etc/ifconfig.fxp0 ------
up
!echo
!dhclient -q $int