Subject: Re: 2.0 broke the delete key, but only in X11
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2005 15:49:46
> > In 1.6.2 the control-H key generates ^H,
> > the "backspace" key generates ^H, and the
> > "delete" key generates the delete character,
> > just like you might expect.
>
> Why do you expect that?

Because

	a) That is the correct behavior.

	b) As far as I can recall, that is how every terminal I've ever
	   used worked.

> I don't have a VT220 terminal currently, but I
> believe that on such terminals Backspace generated delete and Delete
> generated ^[[3~.

I don't recall having ever used a DEC VT220, but if the backspace key
generated delete and the delete key generated ^[[3~ then someone screwed up.

> And xterm is a VT220 emulator,

The default is VT100, not VT220.  I don't see a kD entry in the VT100
termcap.  I don't see ^[[3~ in the VT100 termcap.  I don't recall any
screwiness with the delete key on the actual DEC VT100, although it has
been a long time since I used one.