Subject: 2.0 broke the delete key, but only in X11
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/10/2005 18:05:06
In 1.6.2 the control-H key generates ^H,
the "backspace" key generates ^H, and the
"delete" key generates the delete character,
just like you might expect.

In 2.0 these keys continue to work properly
on the serial console, but on an X terminal
the delete key is now generating some ^[[3~
screwiness.

xev says:

    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7f) "_"

So xev is getting the correct value (7f), but other programs
are getting the ^[[3~ screwiness.

PR 27256 implies that one can get the correct behavior with
something called "deleteIsDEL", but I grepped the man pages
for "deleteIsDEL" and got nothing.

Question 1: How do I get the delete key to work correctly in X11 in 2.0?

Question 2: Why the gratiutatous change from 1.6.2 to 2.0 ?

Question 3: Does NetBSD have a regression test suite?

Question 4: Why doesn't my spell checker know how to spell
gratiutatous?