Subject: Re: IPV6 and sshd problems
To: Erik Nielsen <Erik@kythra.net>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/09/2005 13:51:33
I don't have any solutions, but I have notied similar and/or related
problems.

 --- Erik Nielsen <Erik@kythra.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some problems with ipv6 and with sshd and hope someone can
> give me some help.
>
> A bit of background:
> Computer: SparcIPC w/48MB RAM
> OS: NetBSD 2.0 (Not even going to go into the absolute hell I had to
> go
> through to install 2.0.)
> Distributions Sets: All except for the X sets, games and man pages
>
> Problems:
> 1. I created a user who is a member of the wheel group. That user has
> password. I started sshd, and after it finished generating the
> keypairs,
> it began running. When I try to ssh in to the machine, it will not
> let
> me connect, claiming that the password is incorrect. I tried
> resetting
> the password and still no dice. In previous versions of NetBSD I have
> never had this problem, and have googled it to no luck. Any
> suggestions?

I have had a probably unrelated problem: I just recently installed 2.0
on i386 and it seems that after a while keys begin to repeat very
easily on the console (remote seems fine). This made it difficult to
log in locally unless I typed really slowly and carefully.

> 2. I need to disable IPV6 without recompiling the kernel. Before
> everyone jumps on me with "IPv6 is great, no one should disable it,
> it
> just works", hear me out. I don't care whether IPv6 is running or
> not, I
> don't use it. However, in 2.0, whenever I try to use pkg_add, it sits
> and hangs for a while before spitting out an IPv6 address and
> claiming
> "no rout to host" I was under the impression that if IPv6 failed,
> pkg_add/ftp/etc should try IPv4, but it is not! The only time I got
> pkg_add to work was when I ran the following:
> $ pkg_add
> ftp://204.152.190.13/pub/NetBSD/packages/2.0/sparc/All/static-tcsh
> Then, the computer sat there, not doing anything for about 10 minutes
> before suddenly installing the package. It is my guess that it took
> forever because it had to fall over to IPv4, rather than using it
> first.
> Also, randomly I get notifications, when logged in as root, that
> sendmail is unable to find a rout to the host and then, once again, I
> get some annoying IPv6 address.

I notice that whenever I contact some host under .netbsd.org (e.g. FTP)
the DNS returns an IPv6 address first. Shouldn't DNS requests from IPv4
requestors return IPv4 addresses by default (I don't have IPv6
enabled)? This only seems to happen when connecting using a NetBSD
client for some reason (seems true under 1.6, haven't tried with 2.0).
Is this just how DNS works with IPv6? It does sound like some unwanted
coercion to use a network protocol you have no use for (and even if you
did, your ISP probably doesn't anyway).