Subject: Re: Some questions
To: NetBSD-Help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Serban Udrea <S.Udrea@gsi.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/09/2005 13:27:14
Hello,

And thank you again!

A few days ago there were security problems with some packages (perl, python). I had the
surprise that "make update" did not work as I expected, i.e. just going to the directory of
the software package and running "make update" did not update anything but stopped with the
message that the software has security problems. What I did was to update pkgsrc via CVS and
then install the new versions of the affected software packages. Is this necessary? Did I
miss something? Why "make update" works for "just new" versions but does not work for
"security conditioned new" versions (if I may say so)? Or x.x.xnb3 is not considered a new
version with respect to x.x.xnb2?

Again, the pkgsrc documentation seems to be silet on such issues.

BTW, before the security problem I had python24-pth-2.4 installed. This was reported to be
affected. After updating pkgsrc, I did not succeed to re-install it, make exited with the
message that the package has security problems. Nevertheless, I was able to install
python24-2.4nb4!?

Best regards,

Serban Udrea