Subject: IPV6 and sshd problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Nielsen <Erik@kythra.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/09/2005 03:50:48

------_=_NextPart_001_01C50E9D.5838AA10

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with ipv6 and with sshd and hope someone can
give me some help.

A bit of background:
Computer: SparcIPC w/48MB RAM
OS: NetBSD 2.0 (Not even going to go into the absolute hell I had to go
through to install 2.0.)
Distributions Sets: All except for the X sets, games and man pages

Problems:
1. I created a user who is a member of the wheel group. That user has a
password. I started sshd, and after it finished generating the keypairs,
it began running. When I try to ssh in to the machine, it will not let
me connect, claiming that the password is incorrect. I tried resetting
the password and still no dice. In previous versions of NetBSD I have
never had this problem, and have googled it to no luck. Any suggestions?

2. I need to disable IPV6 without recompiling the kernel. Before
everyone jumps on me with "IPv6 is great, no one should disable it, it
just works", hear me out. I don't care whether IPv6 is running or not, I
don't use it. However, in 2.0, whenever I try to use pkg_add, it sits
and hangs for a while before spitting out an IPv6 address and claiming
"no rout to host" I was under the impression that if IPv6 failed,
pkg_add/ftp/etc should try IPv4, but it is not! The only time I got
pkg_add to work was when I ran the following:
$ pkg_add
ftp://204.152.190.13/pub/NetBSD/packages/2.0/sparc/All/static-tcsh
Then, the computer sat there, not doing anything for about 10 minutes
before suddenly installing the package. It is my guess that it took
forever because it had to fall over to IPv4, rather than using it first.
Also, randomly I get notifications, when logged in as root, that
sendmail is unable to find a rout to the host and then, once again, I
get some annoying IPv6 address.

Neither of these problems happened to me in 1.5 (what was previously on
the sparc) and I have to say, I really have no clue what to do and
neither documentation or googleing is helping any. It sucks, because
I've been using NetBSD on one archetecture or annother for almost 9
years now and have always found it to "just work", at least as long as I
read the documentation. What happened?

Erik

------_=_NextPart_001_01C50E9D.5838AA10

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.5.7226.0">
<TITLE>IPV6 and sshd problems</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi all,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm having some problems with ipv6 and =
with sshd and hope someone can give me some help.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">A bit of background:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Computer: SparcIPC w/48MB RAM</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">OS: NetBSD 2.0 (Not even going to go =
into the absolute hell I had to go through to install 2.0.)</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Distributions Sets: All except for the =
X sets, games and man pages</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Problems:</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1. I created a user who is a member of =
the wheel group. That user has a password. I started sshd, and after it =
finished generating the keypairs, it began running. When I try to ssh in =
to the machine, it will not let me connect, claiming that the password =
is incorrect. I tried resetting the password and still no dice. In =
previous versions of NetBSD I have never had this problem, and have =
googled it to no luck. Any suggestions?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2. I need to disable IPV6 without =
recompiling the kernel. Before everyone jumps on me with &quot;IPv6 is =
great, no one should disable it, it just works&quot;, hear me out. I =
don't care whether IPv6 is running or not, I don't use it. However, in =
2.0, whenever I try to use pkg_add, it sits and hangs for a while before =
spitting out an IPv6 address and claiming &quot;no rout to host&quot; I =
was under the impression that if IPv6 failed, pkg_add/ftp/etc should try =
IPv4, but it is not! The only time I got pkg_add to work was when I ran =
the following:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">$ pkg_add </FONT><A =
HREF=3D"ftp://204.152.190.13/pub/NetBSD/packages/2.0/sparc/All/static-tcs=
h"><U><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">ftp://204.152.190.13/pub/NetBSD/packages/2.0/sparc/All/sta=
tic-tcsh</FONT></U></A>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Then, the computer sat there, not =
doing anything for about 10 minutes before suddenly installing the =
package. It is my guess that it took forever because it had to fall over =
to IPv4, rather than using it first.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Also, randomly I get notifications, =
when logged in as root, that sendmail is unable to find a rout to the =
host and then, once again, I get some annoying IPv6 address.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Neither of these problems happened to =
me in 1.5 (what was previously on the sparc) and I have to say, I really =
have no clue what to do and neither documentation or googleing is =
helping any. It sucks, because I've been using NetBSD on one =
archetecture or annother for almost 9 years now and have always found it =
to &quot;just work&quot;, at least as long as I read the documentation. =
What happened?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Erik</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C50E9D.5838AA10--