Subject: serial port login (tip/cu) on Sparc U5
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <msh@blisses.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/2005 12:34:30
Hi.

I'm trying to login via null modem cable
from FreeBSD to NetBSD Sparc64 on a U5.

I have tried all sorts of changes to this file to no
avail. The PC style serial port on this U5 is "com1"
i.e. the second port. Am I getting warm here? tip and
cu on FreeBSD tell me I'm connected no matter what I
have set up but they are lying because I never get
anything like an interactive session or login prompt.
I have been able to setup serial connections between
i386 and i386 freenixes before. I'm wondering if there
is something Sparc specific I'm missing.

I run ttyflags and kill -1 1 every time I change anything
on the Sparc.

console "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 on secure
ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyb    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyh0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyh1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   sun-ss5 on secure
ttyp0   none                            network
ttyp1   none                            network