Subject: Re: skype 1.0.0.1 problems
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci@spidersweb.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/2005 10:32:18
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Martti Kuparinen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I tried skype 1.0.0.1 with my NetBSD/i386 2.99.15 laptop and I was
> able to hear the peer but my microphone didn't work. I changed some
> mixerctl settings (mute=on -> mute=off and few volume settings as
> well) but I couldn't make it work. Same skype version with Debian
> (using the same laptp) works just fine.
>
> Has anyone had success with skype in NetBSD? With what soundcard and
> what mixerctl/audioctl settings?
>
> Here's my audio device (from Linux lspci command):
>
> 0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
>
> Martti

Exactly the same here, although at the moment I am running 2.0 on my
laptop. It seems to be related to the choice of multimedia system in Gnome
- when esd is selected, both input and output tests pass , whereas when
the default OSS is selected, only the output test passes; Skype works only
with OSS, so there you are. I have suse-9.1 emul packages installed, if
that is of any difference. BTW, I have never actually tested the
microphone input under NetBSD, so it may be some driver limitation ( I
have noticed in the netbsd-kernel news announcements of audio hardware
support only for output ).