Subject: Re: Some questions
To: Serban Udrea <S.Udrea@gsi.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2005 10:33:01
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Serban Udrea wrote:

> My main problem now is package management. I could not find any clear
> description about what happens when a package is updated. Thus, the
> following questions:
>
> 1) What happens with the system-wide configuration files of the updated
> software?

If the configurations were never modified, then they are removed when the
package is deinstalled. Then configurations are copied back in place on
the new install of the package.

But, if the configurations were modified, they will not be removed when
the package is deleted. And so when the updated package is installed, then
it will tell you that it did not copy the configurations in place (because
files already existed) and it will tell you where your configurations are
saved and let you manage this manually (if needed).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/