Subject: Re: Some questions
To: NetBSD-Help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Serban Udrea <S.Udrea@gsi.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2005 15:17:41
Hello again,

And please excuse this late feedback. Many thanks to all who answered my questions.

In the meantime I installed bash and use it. I also set the encoding to de.nodead (as
suggested by Martin Weber) and the keyboard works better.

I decided to run the system with sendmail shut-off. If the only problem is that I get no
mails generated by the scripts run daily, weekly etc. then I think I can live with that for
a while. BTW I "discovered" the file daily.out in /var/log which seems to contain the
information which should have been mailed to me by the script(s) run daily. Thus, it seems
that I do not loose any information, I just do not get it by email.

My main problem now is package management. I could not find any clear description about what
happens when a package is updated. Thus, the following questions:

1) What happens with the system-wide configuration files of the updated software?

2) Did I understand correctly, that all software which depends on the updated one is rebuild
and reinstalled when running "make update" in the directory belonging to the package to be
updated?

3) If the answer for (2) is "yes", then what happens with the configuration files of the
software rebuild because of dependency on the updated one?

4) How is the following situation handled: the updated package depends on a newer version of
an allready installed package but the older (installed) version is needed by other installed
packages?

Best regards,

Serban Udrea