Subject: Re: Cannot connect or ping to my router
To: Carsten Laux <carstenlaux@online.de>
From: Roberto <roberto.trovo@redix.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2005 17:42:59

> I started DHCP via the Command line with dhcpd -d -f.
> But I got no really informative message. Only the Internet
> Address to the isc Website and the Howtos.
>
> The last message was: dhcpd exiting, as stated in my E-Mail
> before.
>
> But for test reasons Iīve added the line
>
>     ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
>
> to my Global DCHP parameters.
>
> Now I can see that during the boot process DHCP starts up. It looks not
> like a error message or a failure.
>
> But now I have a other problem: NetBSD is no longer booting anymore!!
> The boot process is frozen with the line:
>
>     Sending on           Socket/fallback/fallback-net
>
> Thatīs all.
>
> I also tried to start DHCP manually from the command line with the
> command dhcpd-d -f and with dhcpd -d.
> I got no informative messages. I also received not the messages that
> youīve got.
>
> In the manual pages is written that the ad-hoc function is broken. Thatīs
> what I
> understood.
>
> Probably this helps. My DHCP Server version is V3.0.1rc11.
> And I have no local DNS-Server. I must use the Server from my
> Internet Provider.
>
> Do you know how can I start up NetBSD again?

try to start in sinlge user mode (at boot prompt set flag s): then login
and  disable dhcpd from starting at boot;
in the process of solve the problem, please start/stop the process manually.
then try with "ddns-update-style none" (if you do not have a local DNS,
use this option).

The complete message I've received starting the dhcpd is:
root@netbsd:/etc# dhcpd -f -d
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1rc11
Copyright 1995-2003 Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

** You must add a ddns-update-style statement to /etc/dhcpd.conf.
   To get the same behaviour as in 3.0b2pl11 and previous
   versions, add a line that says "ddns-update-style ad-hoc;"
   Please read the dhcpd.conf manual page for more information. **

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server@isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.

Roberto