Subject: Re: Freezing i386
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2005 15:59:46
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:26:55AM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Feb 2,  2:46pm, prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk (Patrick Welche) wrote:
> | Back in October, I complained in the current-users thread "ipnat
> | is broken in 2.0RC4", that a -current/i386 based firewall kept
> | freezing, and unfortunately I found no hints - no sign of anything
> | special happening when it happened. To quote:
> |
> |   So, replacing the -current/i386 code of 13 October 2004 with code
> |   from 15 October 2003 has "fixed" this firewall/nat box. On Monday
> |   it will be 3 weeks that it has been up continuously.
> |
> | In fact, that box has been running 2003 code ever since with no
> | freezes. (same box, network, etc.)
> |
> | The reason this thread seems connected: the firewall contains 3
> | 3Com 3c905C-TX 10/100 Ethernet with mngmt (rev. 0x78) cards (ex+exphy)
> | Possibly a link?
>
> Possibly, but I would suggest to try running head again and report back.
> There were a lot of issues fixed with IPNAT between RC4 and HEAD.
> If you still have problems with HEAD, we should really look at them ASAP,
> because we are going to pull up all of ipf for 2.1.

The subject had "RC4" in it, but I was running -current/i386 code of
13 October 2004. At the time, the only outstanding problem seemed to
be ftp-proxy on sparc64. In fact, at the time, people were using
-current/i386 as the "known good" comparison. That's why I don't
connect those freezes with ipf..  Since then, if I remember correctly,
ex(4) was mentioned in conjunction with 10MB hubs. The freezes
I observed were when the firewall was plugged into a 10MB hub.
I could try a 100MB switch, but I think the grief incurred should
another freeze happen is too great to risk trying..

Cheers,

Patrick