Subject: Re: Net BSD 2.0 support for Adaptec SCSI controller
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: joerch <helix@mayn.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/2005 14:32:33
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 04:07:17PM -0800, John.Templer@gd-ais.com wrote:
> I purchased a Net BSD 2.0 install cd and live cd from www.tecbits.com.au,
> and I'm having trouble getting it to boot on my pc.  I have an Adaptec SCSI
> controller card and a Plextor 40/12/40 R/RW CDROM drive.  I have other cds
> which will boot on this machine. When I try to boot from either of the Net
> BSD cds, the SCSI BIOS detects that there is a bootable cd in the drive, but
> boots from the hard drive instead of the cd.

I do not really know what the problem is, but i have the same with my adaptec
controller. I tried to boot Free/Net/Openbsd and Windows/Linux (with different
os versions fbsd 4.10/5.3, nbsd 1.6.2/2.0 ... etc.).
Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it did not. I tried different cables,
terminators, cddrives and harddisks. After a while i got angry and went to
store and bought a floppy (i did not own a working one) ;).
Made some boot disks and was happy ;)
With the boot disks (for different osversions) i could install all my cds,
only openbsd had problems with the controller, but who cares.

> Is it likely that this combination of hardware is not supported by the boot
> image on the cds?  If so, how could I best go about installing Net BSD 2.0
> on my machine?

Try to install it with a floppy, boot from floppy and let the netbsd cd in
the cddrive, then you can install the files from it.

--
gruesse
joerg "joerch" buechner