Subject: Re: PPP problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/2005 01:43:57
In article <41FED424.9000608@yahoo.com.br>,
	Andre Leao Macedo <alm_nospam-netbsd@yahoo.com.br> writes:

> And the output from /var/log/debug, after adding debug and kdebug 4 to
> the option files is the same as the original output (caught by
> /var/log/messages).
>
> I also tried to connect to another "free" ISP, which does not bother
> about the password (they have a "web" authentication method), with exact
> same results.

So the modem or other side is hanging up on you right away. It sounds
like either a line quality issue, or your modem setup. What happens if
you dial the number from within "cu" or "kermit" (from pkgsrc)?  Can
you hold the connection long enough to get screenfuls of punctuation?

I see you're using "ATZ". You set hardware handshaking and saved the
settings?  Else, a more usual set-up would be "AT&F1&C1&D2".

A trick that sometimes helps with poor line quality, is to lower the
top connection speed via the modem settings. What happens with these
"56K" modems is that they connect at a very ambitous speed, to display
a nice number to the user, and then drop back after a few minutes of
transmitting and receiving garbage. Once TCP is set up, "pppd" can
handle that with merely an annoying pause, but the LCP phase can't.

Frederick