Subject: Re: espcutil (pkgsrc/print/gimp-print-escputil) does not work.
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Shigeki UNO <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/2005 04:46:44
Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:

|   Cannot read from /dev/ulpt0: Operation not supported by device

 Deuce with it! It's my mistake. /dev/lpt0, not /dev/ulpt0. Because,as a matter of fact,
"Cannot read form /dev/lpt0" comment was displayed in Japanese so I did copy-and-paste
from somewhere in NetBSD mailing lists to translate it into english.

 Therefore, _Cannot read from /dev/lpt0: Operation not supported by device_ is the
right comment. Sorry for confusing you. :(

I'm an idiot...

| It appears you are using USB to talk to the printer.  USB lpt is in
| theory bidirectional, but last I checked the NetBSD driver ulpt(4) was
| output only.  Some additional code, probably not much, is needed to
| handle input and make it available to the read system call.  If you
| have a USB/parallel converter this would affect you.  (I have no clue
| about input from printers on actual parallel devices.)
|
| I would run ktrace on escputil; I suspect it is a read call on the
| printer device (following writing the read ink commands) that is
| failing.
|

| --
|         Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

I know there are a few intresting softwares such as

  mtink      http://xwtools.automatix.de/
  inkblot    http://greatnorthern.demon.co.uk/?id=411
  GMSO       http://gmso.linux-sevenler.org/index.php?lang=en

but are not in pkgsrc yet.