Subject: Re: MEMORY_DISK_SERVER
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/27/2004 23:24:32
--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 11:33:52AM +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:
  | > Have you tried using
  | > 	mount -u /
  | > to change the mountpoint to read-write ?
  |=20
  | # mount
  | root_device on / type ffs (read-only, local)
  | mfs:7 on /dev type mfs (synchronous, local)
  | mfs:1158 on /mnt/mfs type mfs (synchronous, local)
  | # mount -u /
  | mount_ffs: root_device on /: No such file or directory

This looks like you don't have an appropriate /etc/fstab in the memory
disk file system.  You could rectify that, or just try
	mount -u /dev/md0a /
instead.  Or maybe
	mount -u -w /dev/md0a /

  | Hmm, I still don't get it. Should it be possible at all to mount
  | a root md read-write? Is this configurable with the MEMORY_DISK_SERVER
  | setting?

By default the root file system is mounted read-only by the kernel.
This is to allow fsck (etc) before mounting the file system read-write.
I'm unaware of an easy method to change this default, besides hacking
the /etc/rc script :)

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--