Subject: Re: Using netgroups in /etc/group
To: Lord Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/11/2004 13:23:09
--0btr6/5+bhBdui6J

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 07:28:01PM -0500, Lord Clark Frazier Hale I wrote:
  | Hello all,
  |=20
  | I hope I'm not asking a redundant question.  I cannot seem to find an=
=20
  | answer to this.
  |=20
  | I would like to use netgroups to add users to a pre-existing group in=
=20
  | /etc/group.  I would like to do, even though this doesn't work is
  |=20
  | wheel:*:0:root,+@admins
  |=20
  | adding all users in the admin netgroup to wheel.
  |=20
  | Is there a way for me to do this, or something similar?

Not really.

The '+/- compat syntax' is triggered off the first character of the
line, not on each member group.  There would be large increases in
complexity in libc/getgrent.c for supporting the latter.

  | Is it wise?

I'm tempted to answer "not really" here too.
You _could_ use
	+wheel:*::
	wheel:*:0:root
and set wheel to the full admins entry in whereever you get
passwd_compat from (nis, dns, ...), but I'm not comfortable
recommended that as good sysadmin practice.

You could replacements for su(1) that do not use "wheel" as
the access control mechanism (e.g., priv, sudo)

Cheers,
Luke.

--0btr6/5+bhBdui6J

--0btr6/5+bhBdui6J--