Subject: Re: PPP - Can not "Activate the link"
To: Smyth, Daniel <Daniel.Smyth@team.telstra.com>
From: None <ipt@scraemon.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/06/2004 19:06:20
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:04:30AM +1100, Smyth, Daniel wrote:

> I would appreciate some guidance on what I should look for next in
> trying to resolve this problem I am having with setting up a ppp dial-up
> connection to my ISP.
>
> I have a fresh install of NetBSD 1.6.2 default kernel on i386
>
> Set up dial-up ppp connection to my ISP as per NetBSD Guide Networking
> 'how-to'
>
> The modem works fine and I can establish a connection to my ISP through
> tty01
> 	# cu -p modem
> 	CONNECTED
> 	ATDT<myispnumber>
>
> Prompts for user name and password and begins PPP session no problems
>
> However when I attempt to activate the link
>
> 	# pppd call myisp
>
> Using connection script
>
> 	# /etc/ppp/peers/myisp
> 	connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/bignet.chat'
> 	noauth
> 	user dan
> 	remotename myisp.net
> 	Debug
>
> And chat file
>
> 	# /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.chat
> 	ABORT BUSY
> 	ABORT "NO CARRIER"
> 	ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
> 	" ATDT<myispnumber>
> 	CONNECT "

Put this whole group of commands in your chat file on one line.  It's been a
while since I've done this, but that is what worked for me.

--
Ian P. Thomas

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing
to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

	- William Jennings Bryan