Subject: Re: Two large disks
To: Simon Truss <simon@bigblue.demon.co.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2004 16:09:46
On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 09:34:06PM +0000, Simon Truss wrote:
> Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> [ ...]
>
> >My options seem to be ccd and RAIDFrame.  Is there a discussion
> >somewhere of the tradeoffs between these two?
>
> grab one or both these tools and have a play yourself. If you test
> with a size and I/O mix that matches your particular usage you should
> have a better idea than most articles on the net can provide. If it
> might become important check the performance as you fill the disc
> to 90-100%. My experience has shown the BSDs do quite well.
> http://www.iozone.org/
> http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/

I know about bonnie and bonnie++. (^&

I'm not so concerned about performance unless it tanks.
My current 40GB drive is fast enough as a single over
NFS.

Here's an approximately descending-order list of my
priorities:

 1 Eventually using all 240GB.
 2 Not having to rebuild the filesystem from scratch
   in order to use both drives in one filesystem later.
 3 Reliability/redundancy of data/drives in the short
   term.
 4 Speed.

...and then the wildcard:

 * Anything I might not have considered (there's always
   something).

Pointers to LVM/Vinum and the wildcard are the kinds of
thing I was looking for in asking for advice.

> >Secondly, I don't suppose that it is possible, but I'll ask:
> >Is there some way that I can set up a filesystem to let me
> >incrementally add disks?  (Maybe some RAID level?)  I gather
>
> vinum might be what you are looking for here. searching for
> Logical Volume Manager or LVM should get you some hits.

Okay, I've heard of that.  I never looked into it before.  I'll
have a look at it.  (^&

If it lets me do #3 in the list above, and then eventually
give up #3 and get #1 and #2, then that's just what I need.