Subject: Two large disks
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2004 11:39:51
At a local store, the bottom fell out of the price of IDE drives
(thanks to SATA), and I picked up two, Western Digital 120GB drives
to install in a machine that currently has a single 40GB drive that
is filling up.

I'd like to use the two 120GB drives as one big 240GB drive.

My options seem to be ccd and RAIDFrame.  Is there a discussion
somewhere of the tradeoffs between these two?

Secondly, I don't suppose that it is possible, but I'll ask:
Is there some way that I can set up a filesystem to let me
incrementally add disks?  (Maybe some RAID level?)  I gather
that FFS, at least, tries to scatter file blocks around the
disk, so it may not be easy, and perhaps there is no facility
for what I want.  My reason for asking is that I might either
leave the second disk in its packing for now, or I might use
it for redundancy.  But when the first 120GB fills up, I might
like to be able to use the second 120GB to double my space.

Lastly: This is on an i386.  I had the vague memory that some people
had reported problems with large disks.  I know that the OS kernel
needs to be located on parts of the disk that BIOS can find in
order to boot.  I searched the lists for this topic but came up
with fewer matches than I expected, so I suspect that I missed
some.

Assuming that BIOS finds the kernel and boots the OS, can I
expect to use the full 120GB under NetBSD without any problem,
no matter how old the PC?