Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2004 18:30:54
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>> system to be up and running again as fast as possible. Rebuilding dozens
>> of packages definitely counts as "effort". However, if it has to be done,
>> it has to be done.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm confused or you are..., but a base system upgrade isn't
> going to upgrade any packages. All your software built against NetBSD 1.6.2
> will still run fine under NetBSD 2.0, with a handful of exceptions ("lsof",
> "ipfs", things like that). Some software will require old system libraries,
> which the upgrade does not remove.

I got that, and that is exactly what I meant: rebuilding packages which
heavily depend on the kernel they were compiled under. It turned out that
there actually were far less than "dozens" of them. So far, I really only
encountered lsof. This doesn't mean that I don't have any problems after
upgrading.

>> I just started build.sh in the background, so I think I'll be able to tell
>> whether it works for a "normal" system update or not in a few hours.
>
> The default, with no options, is to build a distribution in the object tree,
> but not to install anything. You have to build and boot a new kernel, then
> re-run "build.sh" with "install=/" to install in place. By the way, the

Actually, I used build.sh to build a new kernel, and only afterwards when
I already got the 2.0 kernel up and running I installed the 2.0 userland I
had built beforehand using build.sh too. I guess this is "the correct way"
(or at least one of the correct ones) to do such things?

> netbsd-2-0 branch still only gives a release candidate, so there may be
> changes before the actual NetBSD 2.0 is released.

Well, yes. I really thought that there would be more trouble from pkgsrc
and expected quite some time to rebuild the former mentioned "dozens of
packages". In fact, currently I've got only two problems which are (or at
least seem to be) related to the whole upgrade thing: I had to rebuild
mysql4-server, which did not work, i.e. it did not compile. I asked on
tech-pkg about this one yesterday but got no replies yet.

The other problem is that right now I have to go with IPF being disabled
because with my ruleset which worked fine with 1.6.2's IPF version, 2.0's
IPF seems to block every network traffic. Not very neat. Maybe there is
some documentation which focusses on the different format of the
configuration file somewhere? I took a quick look at some IPF
documentation in general but did not find anything suitable for my
particular situation (which I think probably quite a lot of people will
face after upgrading their systems to 2.0). Digging in the PR database
showed some problems with ipfilter 4.1.x, NetBSD 2.0 and ipfs.
Unfortunately I cannot reboot my system because of the first problem (yes,
MySQL got deinstalled during the failing rebuild process, but it still is
in memory and running fine until I either reboot or kill the process by
some other means), so I am unable to test whether disabling ipfs in
rc.conf will fix the IPF problem or not.

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09