Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: None <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2004 13:56:23
On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 06:34:40PM +0000, bmcewen@comcast.net wrote:

> Sorry for the top post, goofy comcast webmail...
>
> pkg_tarup- it's just a script.  The manpage is nice but doesn't tell you what happens upon invokation...

Deleting/reinstalling would tend to make a lie of the man page which
says that it makes a binary package from an installed package.  We can
truly expect better quality of NetBSD and pkgsrc than to give out
harmful misinformation.  (^&

> I didn't run it, but I looked at the script, and to my eyes, it just does some fancy stuff to determine file names and dependencies, deletes everything, then calls pkg_create.

I can't see any "pkg_delete" or "make deinstall" in my copy.

Maybe you were looking at some other pkgsrc tool?  Maybe you should
look again?