Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2004 09:15:26
On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 07:38:15AM -0500, Brian wrote:

> On Thursday, November 25, 2004, at 09:25 AM, Richard Rauch wrote:
> >Making binary packages of existing packages (via pkg_tarup or
 [...]
> >In keeping with the remark about binary packages, plus other
> >management issues, you might consider making packages of
> >some of those things in /usr/local, even if they are not
>
> With a working setup (without packages made yet), my understanding is
> that there's no way to make a package without first removing all copies
> of installed binaries first.  At least, based on the errors I got when
 [...]
> Unless there's a workaround that no-one mentioned when I asked this a
> couple weeks ago (maybe on a different netbsd- list).
 [...]
> I had a look at the pkg_tarup script; it looks like it's a nice way to
> automate rm followed by a pkg_create for a package and dependancies.
> But it's still just deleting and rebuilding.
>
> Are the conclusions above all correct?

man pkg_tarup
 [...]
DESCRIPTION
     The pkg_tarup command is used to create a binary package from an
     installed package.  It can be used to tar up one or more packages,
     including dependent packages, if desired.
 [...]

This seems to me to be what you are asking for.  And the program
seems to do what it says it does.  Did you try it on anything?
(Say a small, leaf-node package that you could survive without
for a couple of minutes, like sudo?)

"pkg_tarup sudo" does exactly what I think that you want---assuming
that sudo is already installed---so if it's not what you want, then
I don't understand what you want.