Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2004 07:38:15
On Thursday, November 25, 2004, at 09:25 AM, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Making binary packages of existing packages (via pkg_tarup or
> whatever), or routinely using "make package" after building
> from pkgsrc, can help here.

[...]

> In keeping with the remark about binary packages, plus other
> management issues, you might consider making packages of
> some of those things in /usr/local, even if they are not

With a working setup (without packages made yet), my understanding is=20
that there's no way to make a package without first removing all copies=20=

of installed binaries first.  At least, based on the errors I got when=20=

I tried =10:)  " Installation is an integral part of package building"=20=

was the reply I received when I asked.

Which is still a problem on a working server (deleting items just to=20
allow a package to be made).

Unless there's a workaround that no-one mentioned when I asked this a=20
couple weeks ago (maybe on a different netbsd- list).

I had a look at the pkg_tarup script; it looks like it's a nice way to=20=

automate rm followed by a pkg_create for a package and dependancies. =20
But it's still just deleting and rebuilding.

Are the conclusions above all correct?

Thanks,

Brian