Subject: Re: Sendmail SMART_HOST and DS
To: None <thrashbarg@kaput.homeunix.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/2004 20:00:30
In article <20041125204852.GC848@kaput.homeunix.org>,
	thrashbarg@kaput.homeunix.org writes:

> I set define('SMART_HOST', mailhub.myisp.com) in
               ^          ^
       wrong---|  right---|

> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, but in the m4 output the DS statement doesnt
> contain anything, just DS and a new line. This has been happening for
> as long as I can remember (not very long ;) ) and always happens with
> a new installation of NetBSD.

That first "quote" character is supposed to be a backtick "`", the
second an ordinary single quote "'". "m4" is goofy like that.  You
should generally quote everything, like so:

define(`SMART_HOST', `mailhub.myisp.com')dnl

The last "dnl" is optional -- it just keeps "m4" from emitting an
extra blank line.

Frederick