Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/2004 19:46:47
In article <Pine.NEB.4.61.0411250800400.25919@relink.networkxxiii.de>,
	thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de (Mirko Thiesen) writes:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
>> Upgrading to 2.0 with "the least amount of effort" depends on your
>> setup and your personal judgment.  E.g., is rebuilding a ton of
>> packages from pkgsrc "effort" or "no effort"?
>
> I did not mention that it is production server, and thus I want to keep
> the downtime as low as possible. Although there is a backup server
> available for the most important services, it is essential for the base
> system to be up and running again as fast as possible. Rebuilding dozens
> of packages definitely counts as "effort". However, if it has to be done,
> it has to be done.

I'm not sure if I'm confused or you are..., but a base system upgrade isn't
going to upgrade any packages. All your software built against NetBSD 1.6.2
will still run fine under NetBSD 2.0, with a handful of exceptions ("lsof",
"ipfs", things like that). Some software will require old system libraries,
which the upgrade does not remove.

> I just started build.sh in the background, so I think I'll be able to tell
> whether it works for a "normal" system update or not in a few hours.

The default, with no options, is to build a distribution in the object tree,
but not to install anything. You have to build and boot a new kernel, then
re-run "build.sh" with "install=/" to install in place. By the way, the
netbsd-2-0 branch still only gives a release candidate, so there may be
changes before the actual NetBSD 2.0 is released.

Frederick