Subject: Re: Audio question: Sound quality change on CD.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/2004 15:33:01
On Thursday 25 November 2004 14:14, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > Almost any loudspeakers are going to sound quite different from cheap
> > headphones -- especially the bass.  I suspect at least part of the
> > problem here is that your music is loud in the bass, and the headphones
> > are just not delivering that correctly, so the midrange (where voice
> > mostly is) sounds louder in comparison.
>
>  [...]
>
> > > Presumably the MonopolySoft user always used his computer speakers when
> > > editing, and hears the show on a regular FM radio of unspecified
> > > quality.
> >
> > Are these laptop speakers or external speakers?  Laptop speakers are...
> > well... let's just say no audiophile would use them.
>
> I don't think that he owns a laptop.  (^&

Well, s/laptop/computer/.  The first point stands.  (Although I may have
gotten confused about which one you said was clearer.)

> I can check with one of the station engineers the next time I'm in
> there.  But that wouldn't explain the variation that I observed on
> my own system.  I don't have an equalizer.

Most receivers and computer audio devices have a bass/treble balance control,
which is a sort of crude equalizer, even if they don't have a full-blown
equalizer with all the bells and whistles.