Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/2004 08:25:31
On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 09:40:43AM +0100, Mirko Thiesen wrote:
> Richard,
>
> thanks for your reply.

You're welcome.  I hope that the upgrade goes smoothely.

 [...]
> system to be up and running again as fast as possible. Rebuilding dozens
> of packages definitely counts as "effort". However, if it has to be done,
> it has to be done.

Making binary packages of existing packages (via pkg_tarup or
whatever), or routinely using "make package" after building
from pkgsrc, can help here.

> >The less customization that you have on a system, the easier it
> >will be.
>
> I guess this system could be regarded as "highly customized":
>
> (08:07:02) root@ReLink [/usr/src] # pkg_info -a | wc -l
>      358
>
> (08:07:22) root@ReLink [/usr/local/bin] # ls -la | wc -l
>      151

In keeping with the remark about binary packages, plus other
management issues, you might consider making packages of
some of those things in /usr/local, even if they are not
made a formal part of pkgsrc.

 [...]
> >* Use the system source tree's build.sh to do an install over
> >  an existing system.  (I've done this for a couple of machines
> >  tracking -current.  I have not done it for a "normal" system
> >  update.)
>
> I just started build.sh in the background, so I think I'll be able to tell
> whether it works for a "normal" system update or not in a few hours.

Remember to install and test the new kernel first.  (^&