Subject: Re: Audio question: Sound quality change on CD.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/2004 20:11:25
On Wednesday 24 November 2004 19:19, Richard Rauch wrote:
> To be sure that the picture is clear: We have a stack of .wav files
> that get edited and mixed.  A final .wav is produced, which is then
> supplied to cdrecord for burning a CD.  If I play the final .wav
> via audioplay (or audacity), it is quite distinguishable from
> playing the CD.  In spots where a music track was laid behind a
> segment of speech, the music is louder ("ramped up") on the CD player,
> relative to the speech.

Are you listening through the same headphones in both cases?  And what kind of
headphones?

The dynamic range of low- and mid-range headphones is very different from
loudspeakers, and very different from high-end headphones, especially in bass
response.  Also, the headphone output on a lot of stereo equipment are
terrible -- sometimes even worse than on computers or portable players.  And
lastly, there are power delivery issues -- especially if you're using
high-impedance headphones, the equipment has to be able to change the power
output very rapidly to deliver good quality sound, and the ability to do this
varies widely between equipment.

In general, I suspect that this is a problem with your testing procedure
and/or equipment.