Subject: Re: Audio question: Sound quality change on CD.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/2004 12:44:20
On Nov 24, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Now I have more significant question: I've noticed when I burn a CD,
> the audio quality changes when I move from the sound file on the
> computer
> (.wav, say) to playing back the audio CD.

Depending on how you've got the CD-ROM drive connected, you might be
using the DAC in the CD-ROM drive in one case versus the DAC in your
sound sound when playing a .wav file.

> In particular, music seems to get ramped up.

If "ramped up" means a change in pitch, that may indicate a problem
with the sampling rate your card was using on the .wav file.  It's not
uncommon to see .wav files with 48KHz sampling rate rather than that
44.1KHz sampling used by CD's...

--
-Chuck