Subject: Re: Audio question: Sound quality change on CD.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: cape canaveral <somniosus@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/2004 06:01:50
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:33:17 -0600, Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> wrote:
> I asked the other day about setting an ID number for a CD, and got some
> helpful answers to a mostly curious question.
>
> Now I have more significant question: I've noticed when I burn a CD,
> the audio quality changes when I move from the sound file on the computer
> (.wav, say) to playing back the audio CD.
>
> In particular, music seems to get ramped up.
>
> This does not appear to be a defect of the audio tools, or CD burning
> tools, at my disposal.  It mirrors a similar problem described to me
> by someone using MonopolySoft tools to create similar CDs.  (He said
> that he noticed it when the CD was played on-air at a local radio
> station and attributed it to the radio---I'm inclined to guess that he
> never tried playing his own CDs as audio CDs at home.)
>
> So, here's my question: Is there a pkgsrc tool that will let me
> preview (readily) how a CD of the .wav file would sound?  I assume
> that it is the moral equivalent of being put through some kind of
> equalizer, though I have no particular evidence that it is based
> on frequency bands.
>
> It'd be nice to not have to burn a CD in order to check this.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
>   "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  http://www.olib.org/~rkr/

Maybe the wave files are being played back at the incorrect rate on
your pc (32khz..?  possible if you have a really old soundcard I
suppose..) Or, the files themselves are not 44.1khz and are not being
properly converted to that rate when being burned to CD.  Without
proper conversion it will be the wrong speed and pitch.

(This is just a hunch - I have a lot of experience with digital audio
but have never burned a CD with BSD) =]

-Aaron