Subject: Audio question: Sound quality change on CD.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/2004 06:33:17
I asked the other day about setting an ID number for a CD, and got some
helpful answers to a mostly curious question.

Now I have more significant question: I've noticed when I burn a CD,
the audio quality changes when I move from the sound file on the computer
(.wav, say) to playing back the audio CD.

In particular, music seems to get ramped up.

This does not appear to be a defect of the audio tools, or CD burning
tools, at my disposal.  It mirrors a similar problem described to me
by someone using MonopolySoft tools to create similar CDs.  (He said
that he noticed it when the CD was played on-air at a local radio
station and attributed it to the radio---I'm inclined to guess that he
never tried playing his own CDs as audio CDs at home.)

So, here's my question: Is there a pkgsrc tool that will let me
preview (readily) how a CD of the .wav file would sound?  I assume
that it is the moral equivalent of being put through some kind of
equalizer, though I have no particular evidence that it is based
on frequency bands.

It'd be nice to not have to burn a CD in order to check this.

Any suggestions?