Subject: Re: sysctl -w kern.mbuf.nmbclusters=8192 not possible?
To: theo borm <theo_nbsdhelp@borm.org>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/2004 10:11:55
--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:20:50AM +0100, theo borm wrote:
> cube@cubidou.net wrote:
>=20
> >On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 07:52:30PM +0100, theo borm wrote:
> >[...]
> >=20
> >
> >>can anyone confirm that kern.mbuf.nmbclusters is writeable?
> >>  =20
> >>

> >Not on all archs.  That includes i386.
> >=20
> >
> sigh... so thats the problem... shouldn't something like that be document=
ed
> (in the man pages)?

I guess it should.  You can fill a PR about it, if you want.

> Thanks; I'll try to recompile a new kernel with higher=20
> kern.mbuf.nmbclusters,
> though that will be difficult as well; for one or another reason I seem=
=20
> to be
> having serious problems bootstrapping build on a 2.0BETA machine; kernel
> compilation is OK (well, except for a warning for some % construct), but =
the
> kernel invariably drops me into ddb. <sigh>  Well perhaps I shouldn't have
> been so adventurous and have waited for 2.0STABLE.

That's rather strange, but just saying you get a panic is not very useful.
You will have to be more specific, or the problem you're having is likely
to stay.  Next time you get into ddb, write down the panic message, and
look at the stack trace ('trace' or 'bt' commands) to see where it breaks.
Then the problem will have a chance to be fixed.

--=20
"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl--