Subject: sysctl -w kern.mbuf.nmbclusters=8192 not possible?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: theo borm <theo_nbsdhelp@borm.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/2004 19:52:30
Hi,

I've run into the following problem:

When I do "sysctl -a |grep nmb" I get: "kern.mbuf.nmbclusters = 1024",
which is the (expected) default.

"man sysctl | grep nmb" tells me: "kern.mbuf.nmbclusters  integer raise
only"

so when I do "sysctl -w kern.mbuf.nmbclusters=8192",
I do not expect to get the following error message:
"sysctl: kern.mbuf.nmbclusters: sysctl() failed with Operation not
permitted".

This happens both with a 2.0BETA GENERIC kernel and a with a stripped
down 1.6.2 kernel, with various values higher and lower than the current
limit.

Does this ring a bell?

can anyone confirm that kern.mbuf.nmbclusters is writeable?

When I compile a custom kernel, I can set nmbclusters to any value, only
changing it for a running kernel seems to be impossible.

with kind regards,

Theo Borm