Subject: Re: problem with installing php [followup]
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/22/2004 00:15:11
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 11:35:26PM +0000, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> > > Is this a common experience? I can't believe I'm the only individual
> > who
> > > has come to this rather unremarkable conclusion.....or have I fallen
> > > into a trap yet to reveal itself by jumping outside of the pkgsrc
> > tree?
>
> FWIW, I haven't had any problems building php from pkgsrc (on i386 and
> alpha). The problem you had with pkgsrc sounds like it was due to
> either temporary network problems causing the transfer to abort before
> it completed, or an old pkgsrc trying to download the old version
> which may not be available anymore (or it may have been moved to a
> different location on php.net...)
>
> > Time *has* told one story anyway. lib4php.so...it didn't build with php
> > and seemingly this file is platform specific, since a version which
> > works on my x86_FreeBSD box (same php version) won't work on the Qube2.
> > When I went to edit httpd.conf I looked around for the file and it
> > wasn't on my system, it was just an idea to try a file by the same name
> > from another box in the BSD family.
>
> Hmm, I forget what lib4php.so does... I seem to have a two-year-old
> version of it lying around on my system in the /usr/pkg/lib/httpd
> directory, but it's unused (I moved it to a different directory,
> restarted apache, and php still works fine). The current version of
> the php4 module for Apache is named mod_php4.so on my system.

As far as I know it permits php files to be served by apahe. Unless that
file is specifically called in httpd.conf php files some over the fence
as plain text.
Hmmm...mod_php4.so is something I'll investigate this coming week...good
tip, thanks much :)

> But in any case, if you can't get it to work, I'd
> recommend updating your pkgsrc and try it again.

I can't, that's the problem. The new(er) pkgsrc won't run under my old
kernel.

Food for thought this coming week!!
Regards & Thanks,
-Colin