Subject: Re: problem with installing php [followup]
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2004 23:35:26
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2004 at 18:02:54PM +0000, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> > The pkg proggy attempted to get php but failed with this error message:
> >
> > => Couldn't fetch php-4.2.3.tar.gz - please try to retrieve this
> > => file manually into /usr/pkgsrc_distfiles/ and try again.
> >
> > so I did, and it's definitely there as shown:
> >
> > root@kenmore /pkgsrc/www/php4$ ls -al /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles |grep php
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root   wsrc       5452 Nov 20 17:37 php-4.2.3.tar.gz
>
> That file's much too small to be the php source code. Perhaps the
> transfer failed before it completed? Try deleting the that file and
> try again. BTW, your pkgsrc is old... the current pkgsrc contains php
> 4.3.9.

Actually I did grab 4.3.9 from php.net a later post showed that.
The problem hasn't gone away, it just changed shape to this:

<snip from later post>

> This is the followup:
>
> Well, I wized up and installed from source (php.net) *and* got a
> substantially newer version to boot. php-4.3.9 to be painstakingly
> exact about it.
>
> It seems like the pkg version just didn't want to install no matter
> *what* I did (or didn't do) so this seemed to be the easiest way.
>
> Is this a common experience? I can't believe I'm the only individual
who
> has come to this rather unremarkable conclusion.....or have I fallen
> into a trap yet to reveal itself by jumping outside of the pkgsrc
tree?

> Time will tell I guess. It's compiling now as we speak.

Time *has* told one story anyway. lib4php.so...it didn't build with php
and seemingly this file is platform specific, since a version which
works on my x86_FreeBSD box (same php version) won't work on the Qube2.
When I went to edit httpd.conf I looked around for the file and it
wasn't on my system, it was just an idea to try a file by the same name
from another box in the BSD family.

That *was* significantly larger, you're right!!!!

-Colin